Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I apply for a full-time regular classified position?
Click HERE and follow the instructions.
2. How do I apply for a non-classified or Faculty-Equivalent Academic Professional (FE/AP) position?
For nonclassified and Faculty-Equivalent Academic Professional (FE/AP) positions, follow the instructions provided within the specific job posting listed on the Jobs Bulletin.
3. What is a PIF?
A PIF is a Position Interest Form that must be completed for EACH position for which you wish to apply. You may submit as many PIFs as you like as long as your application remains active. West Virginia University classified applications are active for one year. Click HERE to access the PIF form.
4. Will I be able to submit my resume?
Resumes can be submitted with your application, however, a resume is not an acceptable substitute for providing information requested on the application form.
5. How do I know when my application expires?
A classified application remains current for one year from the date it is received by Human Resources. It is the applicant’s responsibility to monitor, update and resubmit their application.
6. If I am a current West Virginia University employee, do I need to submit a new application?
Yes, if your application is more than one year old.
7. How do I make changes to my application?
All changes or updates must be made by submitting a new application.
8. How are job interviews arranged?
Job interviews are scheduled by HR, the hiring supervisor or other designees within the department.
9. How do I obtain information about temporary employment at West Virginia University?
Please click HERE to visit the MountaineerTemp website.
10. I am a student at West Virginia University. How do I obtain information about employment opportunities?
Please click HERE to visit the Student Employment website.
11. I am the spouse/partner of a West Virginia University faculty member. What employment services are available to me?
Please click HERE to visit the Dual Career website.
12. What is the difference between non-exempt and exempt positions?
Non-exempt employees are entitled to overtime for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a work week pursuant to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Exempt employees are not eligible for overtime.
13. What is the difference between an internal and external applicant?
Internal applicants are current employees of West Virginia University in classified, nonclassified, Faculty-Equivalent Academic Professional (FE/AP), or faculty positions. NOTE: Student Workers and Mountaineer Temps are not considered internal applicants.
14. How does the HEAT Bill affect me as an applicant?
HEAT Bill provisions provide that a current West Virginia University non-exempt classified employee who meets the minimum qualifications for a non-exempt job opening shall be hired before an external candidate unless such hiring is affected by the mandates in affirmative action plans or the requirements of Public Law 101-336 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
15. I need an accommodation to apply for a position and to participate in the interview process. Whom do I contact for assistance?
Individuals who need assistance in the application and/or interviewing process are encouraged to contact us by telephone at 304.293.5700.